fbpx

Keila

Rummu mining quarry

Limestone was mined from the quarry, including Vasalemma limestone, which is better known as Vasalemma marble. Mining in the Rummu quarry began in 1938, when the Vasalemma Lime and Marble Factory started operating, which used prisoners from Murru Prison as labor.

Rummu Career can be visited all year round. In the low season, advance booking is required.

Limestone was mined from the quarry, including Vasalemma limestone, which is better known as Vasalemma marble. Mining in the Rummu quarry began in 1938, when the Vasalemma Lime and Marble Factory started operating, which used prisoners from Murru Prison as labor.

Rummu Career can be visited all year round. In the low season, advance booking is required.

Vasalemma manor

Vasalemma manor (Wassalem in German) was a knight’s manor in Harju-Madis parish in Harju County.
The main building of Vasalemma manor is one of the most outstanding examples of later Estonian neo-Gothic architecture.

In the Middle Ages, the village of Vasalemma and its surroundings belonged to the lands of Padise Monastery. During the Great Northern War, at the beginning of the 18th century, the owners of Padise, the von Ramms, built a small auxiliary manor there. A school has been operating in the manor since 1922.

Ohtu manor

The main building of the Baroque manor ensemble was completed around 1769.

In front of the manor house there is a square with an oval ring road, on the sides a barn and a stable barn. The front door of the manor house deserves attention as a masterful carpenter. It is also worth taking a look at the boulevards and the park.

Harju County Museum

The museum collects, researches, preserves and mediates the heritage of Harju County in cooperation with other museums and organizations and the community. The museum advises small museums operating in Harju County, prepares exhibitions, publishes publications and conducts educational events for both children and adults.

Keila Michael's Church

Keila Michael’s Church is the largest medieval country church in Harju County. Its construction began in the first half of the 13th century, fairly immediately after the Danish fall of the area.

The original church built in Keila was made of wood, but already at the end of the 13th century the construction of a stone church was started: first a spacious choir room was completed, the construction of a long building made of stone was achieved in the next century.