fbpx

Paldiski

Harju-Madis Mattias Church and the ruins of the former pastorate (birthplace of B.G. Forselius)

The year 1296 can be considered the year of the first mention of the Harju-Madis congregation, when Lodenrodhe is mentioned as a fortified city and a place in the estuary of the Vasalemma River. There was certainly also a church there.
After the uprising of St. George’s Night, a new wooden church was soon built. A stone church was built on the present site in the middle of the 15th century.

Harju-Madise church tower is the only one in Estonia having a lighthouse in it.

Church of St. Nicholas in Paldiski

Paldiski Nikolai Church was completed in 1842.
This classicist church building was ruled by the Soviet army for half a century, when it was used as a house of culture and later as a warehouse.

Amandus Adamson Studio Museum

The studio museum was founded in the summer studio of sculptor Amandus Adamson (12.11.1855-26.06.1929) in Paldiski.
The studio museum introduces the life and work of Amandus Adamson. Furniture items, photos and documents from the family belonging to the artist are exhibited.
Stencil paintings cover the walls of the rooms of the house decorated with wooden lace and with a gorgeous wind flag.

Paldiski Georgian Orthodox Church

The Georgian Orthodox Church in Paldiski is a typical example of a classicist stone church with Baroque elements, built between 1784 and 1787.

However, history goes further, and in the early year of the Paldiski Apostolic Orthodox Church in 1721, a tent church was built here for soldiers and workers who had been sent by the Russian Emperor Peter the Great for insurance work.

Peter the Great Sea Fortress Bastion or Muula Mountains

The port of Paldiski was to become an important base in the entire Russian defense system, and Tsar Peter I personally designed these Dutch-style fortresses.
The fortress with five bastions of the Pakri Peninsula was carved into the high limestone bank as a monolith, the embankments were 4 m high and reached 17 m above sea level.

Pakri lighthouse

Pakri lighthouse was last thoroughly restored in 2001, and the tower has been open to visitors since the summer of 2015. Close to the lighthouse is a partially preserved old lighthouse. It is only a matter of time before the historic building sinks into the depths of the waters forever as the sea has been washing away the high shore.
Pakri lighthouse is:

  • Located on the northwestern tip of the Pakri Peninsula, on the edge of a high limestone bank
  • It is the highest lighthouse in Estonia – the height from the foot is 52 meters
  • Built in 1889 and restored in 2001
  • The lighthouse awaits you with a beautiful sea view, a picturesque cliff and 275 steps for exercise